Fishout: Clear Lake Crappie Exploration
Time & Location
About The Event
Both crappie and bass look for structure. Gear guys fish jigs under a bobber; crappie flies on floating lines should do well. Crappie are minnow eaters; size 4-8 streamers in bright colors; white, flash, chartreuse, pinks, yellows. A balanced minnow in white under an indicator would duplicate the jig. Slow sink minnows on an intermediate line lets you suspend fly at right depth and cover water.
Leader: Mike McKinley, 408-807-4340; email@example.com; 10660 Harris Rd, Auburn, 95603
Co-Leader: TBD - Contact Mike if interested in helping.
Fish-out Committee Coordinator: Tom Grant, 530-263-2492, firstname.lastname@example.org
Fish For (species): Crappie, bass, bluegill
Fishing Strategy: Floating and intermediate or slow sink if fish are up; cold weather might put them deeper; Near docks, brush, structure.
• Rods: 5 wt for crappie, 8 wt for bass
• Lines: floating, intermediate
• Leaders: Std to 9 ft; use loop knot to attach the flies.
• Tippet: 4-8 pound for crappie; 8-15 Pound for bass
• Flies: Many crappie patterns available; white flashtail wooly bugger, chartreuse and white craft fly, black and chartreuse, pink and silver comet. Bass; wooly bugger, streamers, dragon fly, damsel. See Tom Page at Reel Angler fly shop for a nice balanced float & fly pattern.
• Other: weedless is an option, warm weather may make poppers an option for bass but crappie are seldom popper takers.
What participants need to know: This is our third trip; wind and weather a possibility. Bass boats that may not respect a float tube are likely. Very few people utilize fly gear but the fish population is one of the highest in the state; Two years ago I caught 15-20 the first day; Ackerman and company did even better the second day. The library docks to the south generally see a lot of fish, as does the Konocti Harbor area further south. We had excellent weather first year, we were blown out last year.
This fishout includes an overnight stay. You must reserve your own hotel/ cabin at the Rodeway Inn in Lakeport; address is 1120 Main St, Lakeport; there are 2 bedrooms and 3 double beds. Other hotels are in the area. Ramp at Rodeway Inn or at Libray park. Consider a group Thursday night dinner. Cost depends on how many attend. I may consider doing a group BBQ or breakfast, depending on attendance.
Clear Lake is always in the top 10 bass lake rankings in the US.