Fishout: Sacramento Delta Stripers (1)
Time & Location
About The Event
To fish Frank’s Tract we’ll need boats. So this trip will self limit according to how many boats we have heading down there. We’ll rotate boat partners each day. We can rent one of the resort’s trailers and cook our meals there. Those with RVs can reserve their own space. Boat owners can haul out each night or can rent a slip. Make reservations with the resort on-line firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 800.799.4100
• Leader, email address, phone: Dave Ackerman, email@example.com , 714.337.3972
• Co-Leader, email address, phone: TBD
Fish-out Coordinator: Tom Grant, 530-263-2492, firstname.lastname@example.org
Fish For (species): Stripers, and Largemouth. Two years ago one of our members picked up a salmon!
Fishing Strategy: There is only one way I know of to catch Stripers on fly rods at Frank’s Tract. Bring a heavy rod – 8 or 9 weight is best but you could get away with a 6 or 7 weight; however, you may lose a big striper. And throw clousers in chartreuse/white on fast sink lines. Cast to the rock walls or tule edges and gaps, give it a quick strip so you don’t snag on the bottom. Then let it sink for a little bit and strip in long fast aggressive strokes. The longer you can cast, the more fish you will catch.
• Rods: 8 & 9 weight. Lighter will do but be prepared to struggle if you set on a large striper.
• Lines: Fast sink
• Leaders: 5’ of 15 to 20 # flurocarbon.
• Tippet: 15 to 20# flourocarbon
• Flies: Clousers in chartreuse/white. 3” will catch more and smaller fish. 5” to 6” will catch bigger fish.
• Other: You may want to bring bass patterns for large mouth bass. Woolly buggers, leech patterns, bait fish patterns
What participants need to know:
This is the Delta. Wind can be an issue. The center of Frank’s Tract can be VERY weedy and has disabled engines on past trips, so be careful if you’re going to cross the center of the tract. Also there are submerged hazards so boat with care. After a day on the water you’ll see where the regulars travel at speed and you can use those routes. GPS units will get you back to the resort.
I’ll reserve a trailer when we have a head count for those wanting to share one