Yuba Fest Youth Program
Time & Location
About The Event
Fee - Its a free event
The Yuba Fest Youth Fly Fishing program was initiated by the Yuba Fest 2018 Organizational Committee and the Gold Country Fly Fishers dedicated to developing and enabling a new generation of fly fishers and conservation minded youth and to encourage them to love and protect the waters that nourish fish and people.
Our vision is to develop our youth into skilled, confident, caring leaders who love the outdoors and fly fishing, invigorate fly fishing clubs, gain recognition for their achievements and contributions to our communities, advocate for conservation, and share their knowledge and values with other youth.
- Teaching Awareness
- Connecting to Community and others
- Establishing Confidence
- Teaching to Focus
- Inclusion with peers and society
- Teaching Leadership skills
- Learning Patience
- Teaching respect of others
- Sharing life skills
Why It Matters - Character Development
Kids thrive on adventure and discovery, they grow in character through fun experiences in the outdoors, and become aware and responsible by caring for more than themselves. That is what fly fishing is all about, it's the perfect medium for this journey.
- Discover: The Yuba Fest Youth Program is not about lectures. It's about developing skills and knowledge through hands-on experiences that stimulate the imagination for a lifetime of learning and enjoyment in the outdoors.
- Connect: Fly fishing is not about a virtual reality. It's about real interaction with other youth, with family, and with nature. Try connecting with a fish on a fly, and you'll see why!
- Protect: It's not about taking. It;s about taking care. Today's youth are the leaders of tomorrow. The more they know, the better they'll enjoy and protect the waters that nourish fish and people.
The Yuba Fest Youth Program
- What is fly Fishing?: The youth in attendance will learn about the equipment that is used when fly fishing and how in differs from conventional fishing methods. They will learn about the fly fishing "Catch and Release" ethic.
- Fly Casting: The participants will learn how to cast a fly rod and the principles of what makes a fly rod and fly line work.
- Bugs: Fish eat bugs. We will examine bugs that have been collected from the river and will see what they look like, how they move and how to imitate them with flies.
- Fly Tying: When you fly fish you use artificial flies that imitate the bugs that the fish eat. The youth in attendance will tie flies that match aquatic insects.
How Do You Sign Up? -- simply sign up on this site.
Or, sign Up by Email - email@example.com
Or, sign Up at the Event - You can sign up on the day of the event from 9:00 am to 10:00 am or from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Other Important Information
- The Yuba Fest Youth Fishing Event is for our youth in Junior High, grades 7th and 8th grade and for youth in high school, grades 9th through 12th.
- The event is free .
- All youth participants must have a parent or legal guardian present during the Youth Fly Fishing event.
- All youth participants must have a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian.
- Yuba Fest will provide all of the equipment for the event. All you need to bring is water, sunscreen and a pair of sunglasses.
- So Come to Yuba Fest 2018