Yuba River shad “wade-out”
Time & Location
About The Event
Shad wading trip on the Lower Yuba River. Wade and swing shad flies.
We will meet on top of the levy on Plantz Rd Google Map link
The river is clear and the flows are approaching ideal!
- Dave Ackerman 714/337-3972 email@example.com
- Jim Lynch 707/446-3610 firstname.lastname@example.org (Co-Leader )
- Fishout Committee Coordinator: Larry Strauss 415-851-1978 email@example.com
Fish For: American Shad aka ”freshwater tarpon"
Once a fishable school has been located, walk on the river bed and cast to the waiting fish.
- Rods: 6-8 weight
- Lines: Full sink or sink tip depending on river flows
- Leaders: 5 to 7’ of 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono
- Tippet: 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono
- Flies: Small patterns of traditional shad flies including the Bloody Maria (refer to Reel Anglers Fly Shop or YouTube)
- Other: Wading staff (ski pole with a leash), a camera for pics in the newsletter.
What participants need to know:
- Calif Fish & Wildlife regulations require a Steelhead Report & Restoration Card and barbless hooks to fish the Lower Yuba River.
- Bloody Maria is also available at Kiene's Fly shop
- River flows, fish runs, and river access will determine gear and access details.
- The Lower Yuba River is populated with New Zealand Mud Snails. Thoroughly clean your boots and waders after the outing. Don’t spread this invasive species.