Yuba River shad “wade-out” - 1st of two
Time & Location
About The Event
Shad wading trip on the Lower Yuba River. Wade and swing shad flies.
Note: There will be two shad fish-outs on the Yuba this year, the first on Saturday 5/18/19, and the second on Wednesday 5/22/19. There is a limit of 10 members on each of these two fish-outs.
Members will only be allowed to sign up for one of the two dates (unless less than 10 sign up for the second fish-out.)
FYI- We plan on having a pre-fishout get together to help make sure you are ready for shad fishing. The exact meeting place and other details will be provided the closer we get to the fish-out date.
- Dave Slack
- Jim Lynch
- GCFF Fish-out Committee Coordinator: Mike Connor (530) 277-1507 firstname.lastname@example.org
Fish For: American Shad aka ”freshwater tarpon"
Once a fishable school has been located, walk on the river bed and cast to the waiting fish.
- Rods: 6-8 weight
- Lines: Full sink or sink tip depending on river flows
- Leaders: 5 to 7’ of 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono
- Tippet: 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono
- Flies: Small patterns of traditional shad flies including the Bloody Maria (refer to Reel Anglers Fly Shop or YouTube)
- Other: Wading staff (ski pole with a leash), a camera for pics in the newsletter.
What participants need to know:
- Calif Fish & Wildlife regulations require a Steelhead Report & Restoration Card and barbless hooks to fish the Lower Yuba River.
- Bloody Maria is also available at Kiene's Fly shop
- River flows, fish runs, and river access will determine gear and access details.
- The Lower Yuba River is populated with New Zealand Mud Snails. Thoroughly clean your boots and waders after the outing to prevent the spread this invasive species.