Yuba River shad “wade-out”
Time & Location
About The Event
Shad wading trip on the Lower Yuba River. Wade and swing shad flies.
There is a limit of 10 members. 2021 Paid Members only, and must have shown proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
Meet at Plantz Road Levy (Road before Marysville dump). Meet just over hill of the levy to carpool in.
- Larry Uno, 530-559-7593, email@example.com
- Rich Tortosa, 530- 632-3230, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCFF Fish-out Committee Coordinator: Tom Grant, 530-263-2492, email@example.com
Fish For: American Shad aka ”freshwater tarpon"
Once a fishable school has been located, walk on the river bed and cast to the waiting fish.
IMPORTANT: In advance of this fish-out, go to GCFF Forum on website, find Roger Stover's posting"Fishing for Shad" which are the slides from his presentation at our 4/6/21 GCFF membership meeting. An excellent reference to shad fishing on the Lower Yuba.
Also, there will be a pre-fish-out Zoom meeting at 7pm June 2nd, to discuss proper rigging, lines and shad flies. We will share the latest information on Yuba shad fishing. This will help not only those with limited experience fishing shad but also the experienced anglers who want to know current conditons.
- Rods: 6-8 weight
- Lines: Full sink or sink tip depending on river flows. Bring different weight tips, ie. 10 ft T-11 and 10 ft T-14.
- Leaders: 3 to 5’ of 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono.
- Tippet: The 3 to 5' Leader (or Tippet material 6 to 8 lb. test Fluoro or Mono) is all that's needed.
- Flies: Small patterns of traditional shad flies including the Bloody Maria (refer to Reel Anglers Fly Shop or YouTube.) Try pink, orange or white/silver shad flies.
- Other: Wading staff (ski pole with a leash), a camera for pics in the newsletter.
What participants need to know:
- California Fish & Wildlife regulations require a Steelhead Report & Restoration Card and barbless hooks to fish the Lower Yuba River.
- BYO: Bring your own lunch, drinks and snacks.
- Bloody Maria is available at the Reel Angler as well as Kienes Fly Shop https://kienesflyshop.com. Try regular colors (pink and orange) as well as lighter colored, ie. white or silver.
- River flows, fish runs, and river access will determine gear and access details.
- The Lower Yuba River is populated with New Zealand Mud Snails. Thoroughly clean your boots and waders after the outing to prevent the spread this invasive species.